Sunday 11 June 2017

Catcalling

Catcalling isn't a compliment. It is street harassment.

The guy in question knows that I'm not going to turn around and instantly fall in love with him because he's yelled something disgusting at me.

"How did you two meet?"
"Well he yelled at me out a car window and it was love at first sight."
Yeah. I don't think so.

It's about having power over a woman, and attempting to humiliate her in public.

During semester one this year at uni I walked to lectures on my own, I was catcalled around 40 times. All by men much older than me and including once by a drunk man who decided to follow me with a lighter.

During semester two I began walking everywhere with a male friend, I was whistled at once.

I don't think that's a coincidence.


Have a beautiful day x


No comments:

Post a Comment